It is possible to go within Erasmus to all EU member states, countries of the European Economic Area and candidate countries. However, it depends on with which specific universities CTU has signed an agreement on student exchange. For going outside the EU, see MBD and Switzerland.


You can go out on inter-university agreements, administered by the rectorates or inter-faculty agreements. You can find a list of currently offered universities in the given selection round in the Mobility cvut application.

INFORMATION ABOUT UNIVERSITIES, with which CTU has signed a bilateral agreement on student exchange, including the language requirements of particular universities, can be found HERE

Inspiration on how everything works at the university you are considering, what are the conditions, about the studies, housing options, transport, tips, financial costs and more, can be found in the database of NAEP final reports. The database contains information from Erasmus students from all over the Czech Republic, but only CTU students can be filtered.

Faculty agreements

A list of agreements signed for FME can be found on the FME website.

Description of the agreements that are signed for FBE, and the recommended fields of study that can be studied abroad can be found on the FBE website.


There are many ways of how to choose your university. The choice is purely yours and depends mainly on your preferences. We know it’s not that easy, so here are at least few tips on where to start.

  1. Language of study
    You can easily sort out universities by what language you speak. Not all universities automatically offer the programme in English (especially e.g. France and Spain).
  2. What do you want the most while abroad?
    It sounds trivial, but think about why you are going abroad. Going abroad is great experience, so your personal priority number one is:
    • new academic/professional experience – then look for the universities that are the best in your field, what your department recommendations are, or look after the ranking (e.g. QS ranking)
    • cultural experience – you can expect something different from each culture. Think about where you might fit best, where you will experience something extraordinary or  the feeling of “being different”. We are all looking for something different.
    • improve/start new language – whether it’s language of study or local language, consider where you will learn the most
  3. Field of study
    Yes, you must study your own field abroad. Even equivalent subjects to those you would study in the Czech Republic. Therefore, look for the university that offers subjects and fields that fit into your study plan. You have to have something to study there.
    If you want to get inspiration where your predecessors from your field of study went, you can look at example of subjects pairing in 2018, which your predecessors studied abroad. You may assume that at present you will find similar focus there. But one year is only a fraction of where you can go, so don’t follow just this document.
  4. Country development
    Each country is developed differently. Are you more heading west, to experience what it would be like to live in  more developed country, or are you interested in how people live in a country behind of the Czech Republic? This aspect is also important because you will probably have to invest some of your own financial costs into studies abroad (your grant is a contribution to increased costs abroad, it may not cover it 100%) and therefore, you can also consider how expensive the country is, how much you want to invest and where you work out with your budget best.
  5. City or countryside
    University = the capital city? Some universities are also located on the outskirts of cities or in very small towns. What do you prefer?
  6. Recommendation from classmates
    You will always have it easier where someone has already been. You will find out how to prepare yourself, what works, what doesn’t work, how it fits into your schedule,… everything you need. Don’t know anyone who left? Join student clubs where people interested in abroad meet, such as ISC (International Student Club CTU in Prague). You can find advice there from either a Czech student who has already left or a foreign student who has come to the Czech Republic and joined the Buddy Programme.
  7. Personal preferences
    After all, it is you who goes abroad. And you must like it there! Studying abroad is mainly practical thing, but you can also fulfill your dreams. So just start where you’ve always wanted to go! 🙂

As it becomes clearer, before submitting your application form, focus on the following things for each potential university:

  • field of study and relevance of offered subjects
  • requirements of the receiving university (does the university have any additional requirements, e.g. language certificate?)
  • beginning and end of the semester (is there significant conflict with the semester in the Czech Republic?)
  • services, availability, accommodation, prices

You can go to Erasmus either for one semester or for the whole academic year, depends on the student’s choice. Always for a maximum of 12 months within given cycle of study (Bachelor, Master, Doctoral).

Selection PrOCESS rounds



selection procedure for departure in WS and SS (the following academic year) takes place from 5.10.2020 to 6.12. 2020



selection procedure for placements that were not filled during the first round (for departure in WS and SS in the spring of 2021 for the following academic year) takes place from 1.2.2021 to 28.2.2021



If all placements have not been filled, selection procedure takes place, for example, in the summer (or in September)

It is possible to apply for Erasmus in  selection process held at least twice a year:

  • 1st round of  selection process for departure in WS and SS takes place in the autumn of the previous academic year.
  • if all places have not been filled during the first round of selection process, other additional rounds are usually opened later:
    • for departure in WS and SS in the spring of the previous academic year
    • for departure in SS usually in the summer of the previous academic year (or in September)



It is necessary to fill out the application form in the CTU Mobility system

  1. Mobility application procedure – Find the selection process round in which you want to apply for and create an application form. Application forms are always accepted during specific period (doctoral students can apply throughout the year).
  2. Select the universities where you want to study at and check if they offer your study programme (see “List of Universities”).
  3. Sort out the universities according to your priorities, where you want to go the most (= put the university you want the most in the first place)
  4. Register for the language test date in which you will study or choose the option to prove the language level differently.

DO NOT FORGET TO SEND THE APPLICATION FORM (!) You can register for the language test without sending the application form.


Assessment of your application by the vice-dean for study

  • Every faculty may have its own conditions (e.g. grade point average, see below)
  • Check on the faculty websites and with your faculty coordinators
  • The Vice-dean confirms in the CTU Mobility system (there is no need to contact anyone)

After the deadline for the relevant round, application forms are sent electronically to the vice-deans of study for their assessment. You can check the status of your application in your card at If your application is rejected, notification email will be sent to you within about a week after the deadline.


Language tests

For the language in which you will study, minimum level B2 is required.
You can prove your language level in several ways:

  • You will take language test organized by CTU (you must register for this test in your application at
  • You have already taken above-mentioned test at CTU (Erasmus or NBA) in previous rounds and you are applying for recognition of the result from the past
  • You will prove your language skills with an internationally recognized certificate
  • You will prove that you have successfully passed the language exam at the FEE language department (min. B2)

More information about language requirements below!

When you pass the selection process and you succeed (i.e. you earn at least 10 points in the language test and you meet the faculty criteria), we will offer you a placement at one of the universities that you filled out in the application form. You get the place according to the total number of points you earned in the selection procedure (the grade point average and points from the language level are taken into account).

IMPORTANT: Please pay close attention to the choice of your future host university. From the list of schools with which a bilateral agreement has been signed, you can only select schools that include your field of study and your level of study in the contract.

If your total score is not enough for your chosen university, we will try to offer you another university or you can wait for the offer of schools in the next round and apply again.

Selection criteria of particular faculties for approval of student’s application to the Erasmus+ programme


For the language in which you will study, minimum level B2 is required. You can find the list of language requirements of particular foreign universities  here (they can be stricter than min. B2).
Each student will be checked out for language requirements and his/her score will be included in the results of the selection process.

You can prove your language skills in several ways:


If you are applying to NBA, ERASMUS or Switzerland at the same time, you can take the test only once. If you do not prove your language level otherwise (see below), the test is mandatory.

If you earn 10 points or more from a written test in English, 9 points or more in German, you move on to the next stage, i.e. you will be nominated for studying abroad. All students who take part in the selection process will find the results of written tests in their application form in

(Examples of written test in English can be found here, tests with answers here. Examples of a written test in German can be found here)


Due to current situation, written tests will be held online, during two consecutive days in the form of writing two essays on given topic (each student submits a total of two essays).
In the application form, please choose a date that is the same for two consecutive days.
You will receive more information about the organization of the written test about a week before your chosen date.
Oral interviews
Oral interviews will not take place at this time. Only if the university to which you are nominated requires for your admission language level certificate, you can at your request be additionally examined orally by Mr Robin Healey and the certificate can be issued to you. In case that Mr. Healey will not reply in 2 working days, contact Ms Eva Kopecká.

2.I have passed the exam at FEE (min. B2)

If you have passed the English exam at the FEE language department, select this option in the application form, ask your teacher for a confirmation specifying your language level, and send this confirmation to:

3.I took the test in the last round (NBA or Erasmus)

If you took the test in previous rounds for NBA or ERASMUS and you wish to have the results recognized, send print screen of your old application with the results to and ask for recognition of the results for this round.

4. I have an internationally recognized certificate

If you have an internationally recognized certificate, you do not need to take the language test. If you have TOEFL, IELTS, CAE or FCE certificate, select this option in the application form ( and send copy of the certificate to:
According to your achieved level, equivalent points will be entered into the selection process, according to these criteria CTU ENGLISH TEST.  
Level B2 certificate is required in German. Then please tick the box for students with language certificate.

 5. . If you want to study in language other than English or German

  • Bring to Eva Kopecká certificate of the language knowledge.
  • At the student’s request, these certificates should be issued by the relevant language department at the faculty.
  • The certificate must be issued in the language in which the student will be studying in the host country and must specify the applicant’s level of language skills according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages.


Tuition fees

are not paid



Upon departure, a grant will be awarded to you. The grant is intended to partially cover travel and subsistence costs, as well as insurance. The grant is meant as contribution to the increased cost of living abroad, so a certain financial participation of the student is assumed. The amount of the grant per month is fixed.


Grant amount

Varies by country – monthly fee can be found here.

Students’ experience with the grant use can be found in the NAEP database and CTU statistics here (bear in mind that these statistics are only indicative due to small number of participants in some countries and the fact that each student administers the money differently).

VISA – additional costs

If there is any excessively  high cost for your visa due to travel (e.g. UK), which cannot be covered by the grant, it is possible to apply for a special contribution. Applications will be assessed individually and on the basis of the CTU funds availability. Keep all payment receipts – they will be needed for the application. For more information contact the foreign department of RCTU.


Support for students from disadvantaged socio-economically background:

amount of 200 EUR/month to the basic lump sum grant. The condition for granting the contribution is based on §91 paragraph 3 of Act No. 111/1998 Coll. about universities. The contribution can be awarded on the basis of an application, which will be accompanied by proof that the student meets the conditions in law (for example, confirmation from the faculty that the student was awarded a social scholarship at the faculty can be provided). The application and proof of fulfillment of the condition must be delivered to our office at the International Office of CTU Rector’s Office no later than 3 weeks before the signing of the grant agreement. More information

Support for participants with specific needs:

People with specific needs can receive grant support – a contribution to cover eligible costs. The grant is intended only to cover increased expenses abroad, which result from your health needs – mental or physical disadvantages (contributions can be paid to, e.g. celiac person, long-term medicaments, regular medical checkups in the Czech Republic,…).

The prerequisite for the special grant award is the fulfillment of the basic conditions for student mobility – the student was selected in a selection process for a given academic year and has a learning agreement with the host institution.

When filling out the preliminary calculation in the application for the item of transport, meals and accommodation, make sure to determine the difference between the price for current costs and the price for increased costs due to relevant handicap. Only this price difference (not the entire amount for the above-standard service) is justified request of the student within the application for a special Erasmus+ scholarship.

The special scholarship needs to be reimbursed after returning from abroad or from Erasmus+ traineeship! Invoices shall be submitted indicating the costs actually incurred, stating the name and address of the entity which issued the invoice, amount and currency as well as the issue date of the invoice.

The request is submitted in an application form where the student provides a detailed calculation of the required scholarship. A sample application form for a special scholarship for placement in the academic year 2019/2020 can be downloaded here:

The application must be accompanied by:

  • medical report;
  • copy of the disability ID card (if the student owns one);
  • Erasmus+ documents: Erasmus for specific  type of mobility – signed learning agreement for studies /traineeship
  • letter of admission where the host institution confirms admission to the studies/traineeship and states that it is informed about your medical condition.

Students can find more information via the link in the tab “For students” (

Deadline for submitting applications to the International Office of the CTU Rector’s Office

Selection criteria and departure conditions. In order to study abroad, you must meet several conditions:


Length of stay

Your study period abroad can last for 3-12 months. The maximum of 12 months is your total time abroad within one cycle of study (Bachelor, Master, Doctoral). Non-European stays are not included in this total.


20 credits

Min. 20 credits, which will be recognized by your faculty, must be enrolled at the host university before departure and subsequently you have to successfully complete them, unless you have a good reason for not complying with these conditions.


Being a student

You must be a CTU student at the time of departure for your studies abroad.

Your study period abroad, either as a student or as a trainee, can last up to a maximum of 12 months within one cycle of study (Bachelor, Master, Doctoral).You may therefore combine it, e.g. 6 months of studying abroad and 6 months as a trainee, or e.g. full 12 months of traineeship. However, the limit of 12 months per one cycle of study is always applied. 

The studies abroad are based exclusively on the valid inter-institutional agreements between the sending and receiving institution owning ECHE certificate.

Selection process results

You will be informed about the results of the selection process by email from the relevant coordinator. Based on your study results and language knowledge, we will either be able to offer you one of the universities you have chosen or we will recommend another university. And if your overall results are poor, we will recommend you to work on your weaknesses and try signing up for the next round or next year.

In which year can I apply for the selection process?

In the first year, you can already apply in the first round, but you will find out the results of the selection procedure as soon as the study results for the 1st semester are known. In the following years, you are limited only by the selection of suitable courses and the rules of particular faculties – for example, the FA sends students only in master’s programmes.

When can I study abroad?

Unless the rules of the faculty are different, it is possible to leave in the second year of study. Selection procedures for studying abroad always take place in the previous academic year. If you would like to study abroad in the second year, you must register at the beginning of the first year.

What are the chances to travel to my chosen destination?

It depends on for how many students the contract is concluded at a particular university. Contracts and numbers of students are concluded on an ongoing basis. Furthermore, of course, it depends on the grade point average and the results of the language test and how many other students are interested in the destination in the specific round of the selection procedure.

What is the probability that I will succeed in the selection process and leave to study abroad?

For the academic year 2017/2018, approximately 300 students applied for the selection procedure and approximately 190 of them left abroad.

Where can I find out more about studying abroad opportunities?

Either your faculty coordinator or the foreign department of CTU – Erasmus+, non-European bilateral agreements.

Can I apply for both NBA and Erasmus at the same time?


Can I apply for more Erasmus selection processes?

YES, Erasmus selection procedures have up to 3 rounds, with different deadlines. For each of these dates you can submit 1 application with universities, easily from different countries.

Can I leave to Erasmus study abroad/traineeship more than once?

YES, if your faculty agrees and you succeed in the selection process. However, your study period abroad, either as a student or as a trainee, can last up to a maximum of 12 months within one cycle of study (Bachelor, Master, Doctoral).

Do I need a TOEFL exam or other language certificate?

It depends on which university you are applying to. Information about language requirements can be found on the particular university website. If you are interested in the CREPUQ programme, then it depends on the requirements of particular institution. Points are not moved automatically from one round to another. Write to (NBA) or eva.kopecka.2@cvut. cz (Erasmus) and ask for recognition of your points. It is necessary to specify when you wrote the test and for which programme.

Can I use the results from the written English test from previous Erasmus or NBA selection process?

YES, but we need confirmation. We can find the results in the mobility application, we only need to know in which year you took the test.

Are courses annotations from foreign institutions available?

Yes, you should find each university in this table:

If you do not find such a list on the websites listed in the table, please contact us for an update. However, in general, the list of courses should be available on the website of the particular institution.

Whom to contact if there is a change in the Learning Agreement?

Discuss these changes primarily with the faculty. For the Rector’s office it is important to have limit of 20 enrolled credits, the Learning Agreement approved by the faculty (uploaded in the system) and only then the Transcript of Records and the comparison sheet after returning from your study abroad.

What field and where can I study?

The prerequisite for your application is that you will have subjects to study at the institution you are applying to. So look for courses that would be equivalent to CTU subjects, for those remaining in your studies and according to this choose foreign institutions. Do not look for the same field of study or faculty, but choose particular course/subject.

Can I leave to study abroad if I only have left writing my diploma thesis?

There is no problem from our side (rector’s office). Of course, your CTU supervisor and the faculty must agree with it. The condition of your departure is to find an external supervisor at the foreign institution who will be in charge of you and who will supervise your work there. After your return, you must submit a confirmation from your external supervisor (EXAMPLE) and recognition of foreign study with min. 20 recognized credits/semester (final project, diploma seminar,…). You are looking for an external supervisor by yourself, in utmost cases the International Office (IO) can also help you.

I am studying in the last year of my bachelor’s programme, and I would like to go to study abroad in the master’s programme at another faculty. What can I do about it?

The application for the selection procedure will be signed by your “bachelor’s” faculty, but you must also obtain prior approval from your “master’s” faculty through which your study abroad will take place.

Can I extend my study abroad at the foreign institution?

Yes, the conditions for such extension are:

A, faculty approval (new application signed by the vice-dean for study)

B, International office, rector’s office approval

C, approval of the foreign institution where you are currently studying