non-EU countries

Dear CTU students,

it is possibile to go to 16 destinations outside Europe due to non-European bilateral agreements (NBA) which have been signed by CTU and partner foreign universities.

You can study abroad either one or two semesters within given cycle of study (Bachelor, Master, Doctoral). It depends on the university you choose and on whether your CTU faculty will approve your placement.

The selection process is held at least twice a year:

  • 1st round of  selection process for departure in WS and SS takes place in the autumn of the previous academic year.
  • if all places have not been filled during the first round of selection process, other additional rounds are usually opened later:
    • for departure in WS and SS in the spring of the previous academic year
    • free places at universities after 1st and 2nd rounds will be offered to students as: “First come (and meet the selection criteria), first served”. The offer will be published at the beginning of May and the departure will only be possible in the summer semester.

Check the list of universities below and in the tab How to apply you will find detailed information about the application process.

If you have made the right decision and you want to study abroad, you will need to apply for a selection process for the universities of your choice.



selection procedure for departure in WS and SS (the following academic year) takes place from 5.10.2020 to 6.12. 2020



selection procedure for placements that were not filled during the first round (for departure in WS and SS in the spring of 2021 for the following academic year) takes place from 1.2.2021 to 28.2.2021



If all placements have not been filled, selection procedure takes place, for example, in the summer (or in September)



It is necessary to fill out the application form

a) Select the university/universities where you want to study at
b) Log in to and register your application.
c) Sort out the universities according to your preferences = put the university you want the most in the first place
e) Sign up for a written test in English

Due to current situation, written tests will be held online, during two consecutive days in the form of writing two essays on given topic (each student submits a total of two essays).

In the application form, please choose a date that is the same for two consecutive days.
You will receive more information about the organization of the written test about a week before your chosen date.

f) If you want to study in language other than English, bring to Kateřina Bošková a confirmation of the language knowledge– an example of a Spanish Certificate of Attainment.


Assessment of your application by the vice-dean for study

After the deadline for the relevant round, applications are electronically sent to vice deans for assessment. You can check the status of your application on your card. If your application is rejected, you will be sent a notification email within a week after the deadline.

Conditions for approval by the vice-dean for study – FCE


Written tests/oral interviews

If your study application  is approved, we can recognize your written test results. You will receive more information about the organization of the written test about a week before your chosen date.

If you have TOEFL, IELTS, CAE or FCE certificate, select this option in the application form and send copy of the certificate to:

If you have passed the English exam at the FEE language department, select this option in the application form, ask your teacher for a confirmation specifying your language level, and send this confirmation to:

If you took the test in previous rounds write an email to: and ask for recognition of the results for this round.

From the written test, you must earn 10 points or more to advance to the oral interview which will be held via Teams ot Skype in the first half of December 2020.

Selected students who wish to submit to the foreign university confirmed ENG certificate by International Office as equivalent to TOEFL or IELTS will have to write the written test in person at our department.

All students participating in the selection process will find the results of written tests and oral interviews in their application

When you pass the selection process and you succeed, we will offer you a placement at one of the universities that you filled out in the application form. You get the place according to the total number of points you earned in the selection process.

If your total score is not enough for your chosen university, we will try to offer you another university or you can wait for the offer of schools in the next round and apply again.

Financial conditions of the study trip in non-European bilateral agreements:

  1. Tuition fees are not paid
  2. The selected students will receive a grant of CZK 10,000 / month
  3. Agreements between universities also include the way in which students finance their stay at a foreign university – accommodation and meals. This type of financing is described in the contracts in 3 different models:



Students themselves must pay for room and board at the foreign university.
Most agreements fall under this model.



Students pay the arriving foreign student accommodation and meals here at the CTU, and they will receive the same at a foreign university.
CTU students pay 45 000, – /semester.
This model applies to agreements with MSOE (USA), UC (USA), KSU (USA), CHU (Taiwan)



Students will pay the arriving foreign student accommodation here at the CTU, and they will receive the same at a foreign university.
CTU students pay 19 000, – /semester
This model applies to agreements with NTUT (Taiwan)

Based on your study results and knowledge of foreign language, we will either be able to offer you one of the universities you have chosen or we will recommend another university to you. If your overall results are not adequate, we will advise you on where you have weaknesses and you can sign up for next round or next year.

Can I file multiple applications for non–European Exchange selection processes?

YES, non – European Exchange selection processes have 2 rounds at minimum, with different deadlines. For each of these terms you can submit an application with three universities from different countries.

Can I apply for multiple rounds, and if I’m selected, do 2 semesters in 2 different foreign institutions?

YES – you can combine universities. If you want to combine universities within one round, state this directly in the application. Report any changes during the oral interviews at the latest.

Can I apply for all NBA, Erasmus+ or CREPUQ at the same time?


Do I need a TOEFL exam or other language certificate?

It depends on which university you are applying to. Information on language requirements is provided on individual university pages. If you are interested in the CREPUQ programme, then it depends on the requirements of individual institutions. Points will not be moved automatically from one round to the next. Write to and ask for points to be recognized. It is necessary to specify when you wrote the test and for which program.

Can I participate in the non–European Exchange several times?

YES, if your faculty agrees to it, if it will not cause your studies to be prolonged, and if you succeed in the selection processs.

Can I use the results from a written test in English from past Erasmus or non–European Exchange programme?

YES, we just need a confirmation of the exam you want to use.

What field and where can I study?

The prerequisite for your application is that you will have subjects to study at the institution you are applying to. So look for courses that would be equivalent to CTU subjects, for those remaining in your studies and according to this choose foreign institutions. Do not look for the same field of study or faculty, but choose particular course/subject.

What are your office hours?

Monday – Friday: 9:00 – 11:00
Monday, Wednesday: 13:00 – 15:00

If these hours do not fit your schedule, write to me at or call 224 353 466 and we will arrange a meeting.

Can I leave to study abroad if I only have a diploma thesis left?

This is not a problem from our side (CTU Rectorate). Of course your CTU supervisor and faculty must agree with your study visit. The condition of your internship is to find an external supervisor at the foreign institution who will be responsible for your work and provide guidance for you there. Upon return, you must submit a confirmation from the external supervisor (EXAMPLE) and a certificate of recognition abroad with a min. 20 credits / semester (final project, diploma seminar, …). You are responsible for finding the external supervisor yourself, in the extreme case you can also get help from the International office.

What is the likelihood that I will succeed in the selection process and the internship?

For the academic year 2019/2020, about 300 students enrolled in the selection process and about 190 of them went abroad.

When can I buy a flight ticket?

Once your foreign institution sends a letter of invitation confirming your acceptance as part of the exchange program. The probability that foreign institutions will accept you after our nomination is 99%.

In which year can I apply for a selection process?

If the faculty approves your application, you can already apply in the first year.

In the following years, you are limited only by the selection of suitable courses and the rules of particular faculties – for example, the FA sends students only in master’s programmes.

I am studying in the last year of my bachelor’s programme, and I would like to go to study abroad in the master’s programme at another faculty. What can I do about it?

The application for the selection process will be signed by your “bachelor’s” faculty, but you must also obtain prior approval from your “master’s” faculty through which your study abroad will take place.

Does the MIAS apply the same conditions as other faculties?


What is the popularity of individual countries as destinations?
  1. Canada
  2. Australia
  3. Singapore
  4. USA
  5. Japan
  6. Taiwan
  7. South Korea
  8. China
  9. Mexico
  10. Russia
  11. Peru
  12. Costa Rica
  13. Argentina
  14. Brazil
Are courses annotations from foreign institutions available?

If you cannot find such a list on the websites of each institution, contact me at and I will write to the relevant coordinator.

Can I extend my study abroad at the foreign institution?

Yes, the conditions for such extension are:

A, faculty approval (new application signed by the vice-dean for study)

B, International office, rector’s office approval

C, approval of the foreign institution where you are currently studying

Whom should I contact if there is a change in my Learning Agreement?

Make any such changes with the faculty. The Rector’s Office is primarily concerned with your study plan before you leave and then the transcript and the recognition form after completing your internship.

Explanatory notes to the application

Do I decide the order to list the foreign institutions in the application form?

YES, the list of students taking part in the selection process is ranked according to the total number of points and the best placed students are offered their first choice.  After filling the first places at foreign institutions, other students are offered their second choice, then third, etc.

How do I choose a semester, a full academic year, or a study internship?

International office, rectorate prefers to have as many students as possible on the study placement. Primarily, therefore, single semesters are offered, and only in the case of low interest in the institution is an academic year offered to the interested parties.  However some foreign institutions only accept students for the whole academic year.

The choice of a single semester or academic year is for you and your faculty to decide. Check out the academic calendar of foreign universities and check if the beginning / end of your selected semester is not compatible with the beginning / end of the semester at CTU.

Do I have to have Czech citizenship for a non-European internship?

NO, every CTU student can apply. However, if you have a scholarship to study at CTU, you should check if it would still be payable if you are studying abroad. Scholarships paid by Czech government agencies are normally payable only for studies in the Czech Republic.

Can I enroll in a selection process as a distance-learning student?

YES. Every CTU student can apply, but you must be a full-time student at a foreign institution.

Are there other ways to fund my internship?

Check all the links carefully here.

How does the Model 2 of finantial conditions for foreign students work?

Interns outside Europe work on exchange agreements between CTU and foreign institutions. Ideally, one student should be exchanged for one student at the same time (1 or 2 semesters).  All bilateral agreements are set in such a way that students pay tuition fees at their home institutions and at the foreign institution not (meaning that CTU students studying in Czech language do not pay fees).  Some bilateral agreements are also drafted to structure the payment of room and board. This means that if the student pays for accommodation and meals at his home institution he will enjoy the same benefits abroad.  Payment of accommodation and meals is made in the form of a donation to CTU’s account. This is a separate donation agreement (it is tax deductible) and follows the receipt of the entire mobility grant.

What if I shorten or prolong the length of my stay compared to the dates I have listed in the financial agreement?

If the data at the end of your stay is different – ie. you will return sooner or later than you specified in the financial agreement – and either you will request a refund or have to return a part of the scholarship, you will proceed according to the following timeline:

Shortening / extending your stay by 1 to 10 days – you will not get or return anything

Shortening / extending your stay by 11 – 20 days – we will ask you to return / we will send you ½ a monthly scholarships

Shortening / extending your stay by 21 days or more – we will ask you to return / we will send you a full monthly scholarship

What insurance do I have to arrange for my time abroad?

Your insurance must cover medical expenses and repatriation. You can easily set up insurance for your credit card and acquire the rest of your insurance through standard (private) insurance companies.  Be aware that some foreign institutions require student to use the university’s own insurance for incoming students. In this case, be sure to also insure yourself for the period between leaving the Czech Republic and the beginning of the university insurance.

Can I retake the English language test?

No. You can take one test for each round.

What CTU International Office English grades are considered equivalent to B2 and C1?

All students who will study in English language as Erasmus students or as Exchange students are required to provide evidence of at least B2 level English skills. The CTU International Office provides a testing service free-of-charge. This test is a written test. For a place as an Erasmus/Exchange student awarded by the rectorate, a spoken English test is also required. Each faculty has its own requirements and procedures when selecting candidates for the places that it awards.

A grade between 0 and 20 is awarded in the CTU International Office English test. A grade of 11 or more is equivalent to a pass at B2 level. A grade of 16 or more is equivalent to a pass at C1 level. A certificate will be made for a student on request, on the basis of the written test and a spoken test. Most CTU partner universities recognize the CTU International Office certificate.

Why is an English test required for outgoing Erasmus and Exchange students?

The English test is administered:

  1. To ensure that outgoing students have adequate language skills to study successfully and present a good image of the university,
  2. To comply with the requirements of the Erasmus programme and of our partner universities, and
  3. Because the English grades form part of the basis for selecting candidates (when there are more candidates than places available).
What if I have a Cambridge, TOEFL or IELTS certificate?

If a student has been awarded a certificate on the basis of a test administered by a widely-recognized institution, her/his grades can be converted into a grade out of 20 for equivalence with the CTU International Office test. For example, a C grade for FCE is 11; a B grade for FCE is 14; an A grade for FCE is 16; a C grade for CAE is 16; a B grade for CAE is 18; and an A grade for FCE is 20. The conversion is done on a case-by-case basis, when the student presents her/his certificate. A student with a certificate from a widely-recognized institution can take the CTU International Office test to try to achieve a higher grade, with a guarantee that she/he has the option of retaining her/his equivalent grade mentioned above.

Study abroad reports containing students’ experience, can be found HERE

List of non-European universities where you can study in 2021/22 – 2.round.

Table of recognized subjects completed in previous years when studying abroad at a non-European university.